Formula One mourns sudden death of FIA race director Charlie Whiting

first_img Reuters MelbourneMarch 14, 2019UPDATED: March 14, 2019 09:29 IST Charlie Whiting (right) had joined the FIA as a technical delegate in 1988 (AP Photo)HIGHLIGHTSCharlie Whiting had been race director since 1997As FIA director, Whiting was a driving force in pushing improved safetyWhiting first worked in F1 for defunct British outfit Hesketh before crossing to BrabhamFormula One race director Charlie Whiting, a popular and key figure in the sport, has died three days before the season-opening Australian Grand Prix, the governing FIA said in a statement on Thursday. He was 66.The Briton, who started his career working for the Hesketh team in 1977, died in Melbourne of a pulmonary embolism, it said.”It is with immense sadness that I learned of Charlie’s sudden passing,” said Jean Todt, president of the International Automobile Federation.”He has been a great race director, a central and inimitable figure in Formula One who embodied the ethics and spirit of this fantastic sport. Formula One has lost a faithful friend and a charismatic ambassador in Charlie.”Whiting, who had been race director since 1997, first worked in Formula One for defunct British outfit Hesketh before crossing to Brabham to work with the sport’s former commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone in the 1980s.He joined the FIA as a technical delegate in 1988.As FIA director, Whiting was a driving force in pushing improved safety and played a key role in the introduction of the halo, the ring-like barrier fitted over the drivers’ heads to protect them from heavy impacts and missiles.The halo was credited with saving driver Charles Leclerc, now at Ferrari, from a potentially serious injury at last year’s Belgian Grand Prix when Fernando Alonso’s McLaren bashed against his Sauber’s bodywork as it flew over the Monegasque’s head.The news was met with shock in the Formula One paddock where Whiting was close to drivers, with whom he conducted pre-race briefings, and teams who sought technical guidance and clarifications.advertisement”Charlie will be remembered as one of the giants of our sport, as well as a great colleague. Our deepest sympathies and thoughts are with all of his loved ones,” former champions McLaren said on Twitter.Red Bull tweeted: “We are shocked and saddened to hear of Charlie Whiting’s passing and our deepest condolences go out to his family, friends and colleagues.”Ross Brawn, F1 managing director, said he was “devastated” to lose a friend and colleague.”I have known Charlie for all of my racing life. We worked as mechanics together, became friends and spent so much time together at race tracks across the world,” the former championship-winning boss of Brawn GP said in a statement.”I was filled with immense sadness when I heard the tragic news.”Mercedes driver Valtteri Bottas said on Twitter: “Very sad and surreal news ahead the Australian GP. Can’t believe it..”My thoughts are with the family and friends. He’s done so much for the sport we love.”For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byrohan sen Tags :Follow FIA race directorFollow Charlie WhitingFollow Charlie Whiting diesFollow F1 Formula One mourns sudden death of FIA race director Charlie WhitingThe Briton, who started his career working for the Hesketh team in 1977, died in Melbourne of a pulmonary embolism, it said.advertisement Nextlast_img read more

London City Airport shut Flights cancelled after Second World War bomb found

first_imgAll passengers due to travel from London City on Monday are advised to contact their airline for further information. Passengers are advised not to travel to the airport until further notice.(2/3)— London City Airport (@LondonCityAir) February 11, 2018 Police urge motorists to find alternative routesSpecialist officers are working with the Royal Navy to remove the ordnance, the Metropolitan Police said.A spokesman said:”At around 10pm on Sunday an operational decision was made with the Royal Navy to implement a 214-metre exclusion zone to ensure that the ordnance can be safely dealt with whilst limiting any risk to the public.”Overnight, officers have been helping to evacuate properties within the exclusion zone and police are working with the local authority to provide residents with temporary emergency accommodation and the appropriate support.”A number of road cordons are in place, and motorists planning to travel through this part of Newham borough are urged to seek alternative routes. The explosive device was found at the George V Dock, just yards from the City Airport dockCredit:Commission Air/Alamy “The operation to remove the ordnance is ongoing in partnership with our colleagues in the Royal Navy. “While we endeavour to progress the operation as quickly as possible and minimise disruption, it is important that all of the necessary steps and precautions are taken to ensure it is dealt with safely. “We would like to thank everyone affected for their patience and cooperation.”London City Airport is the 14th busiest in the UK with 4,540,000 passengers in 2017, according to data from the Civil Aviation Authority.Newham Council evacuates residents in bomb alertIn a statement, Newham Council said:”Officers are assisting with a controlled evacuation of people in this exclusion area. Affected at this stage are parts of Holt Road, Leonard Street, Lord Street, Newland Street, Tate Road, Muir Street and Kennard Street.”Some residents have chosen to remain in their homes and others have made arrangements to stay with friends or family. A rest centre has been opened and Transport for London are ferrying people to it”Work will not start on lifting and removing the device until the initial 214-metre zone is clear. When work starts to remove it, it is expected the exclusion zone will be extended to 250 metres and more properties will need to be evacuated. The airport is cooperating fully with the Met Police, Royal Navy and London Borough of Newham (3/3) https://t.co/9ZD3jDFdOw— London City Airport (@LondonCityAir) February 11, 2018 Passengers warned not to travel to City AirportAirport chief executive Robert Sinclair said: “All flights in and out of London City on Monday are cancelled and an exclusion zone is in place in the immediate area.”I urge any passengers due to fly today not to come to the airport and to contact their airline for further information.”I recognise this is causing inconvenience for our passengers, and in particular some of our local residents. The airport is cooperating fully with the Met Police and Royal Navy and working hard to safely remove the device and resolve the situation as quickly as possible.” Following the discovery of a World War Two ordnance in King George V Dock as part of planned development works, a 214m exclusion zone has been implemented as a precaution by the Met Police. As a result, London City Airport is currently closed. (1/3)— London City Airport (@LondonCityAir) February 11, 2018center_img Aerial photograph of London City Airport “The operation is expected to continue until Tuesday morning. Further updates will follow. ” A 700ft (214-metre) exclusion zone was put in place on Sunday evening to ensure the device could be dealt with safely.People living inside the zone were evacuated from their homes overnight, while police said a number of road cordons have been put in place in Newham.Passengers were urged not to travel to the airport on Monday and advised to contact their airline.On the trains, Docklands Light Railway services between Pontoon Dock and Woolwich Arsenal have been suspended. London City Airport has been closed after the discovery of an unexploded Second World War bomb, affecting tens of thousands of passengers.All flights into and out of the airport, in east London, will be stopped on Monday after the device was found nearby in the River Thames on Sunday.The closure led to the cancellation of more than 100 departures and was affecting up to 16,000 passengers, according to a spokeswoman.The device was discovered at the George V Dock at about 5am on Sunday during planned work at the airport.Newham Council said the bomb was a German 500kg fused device and warned work to deal with it would last until Tuesday.The Metropolitan Police said the airport was shut at 10pm, as officers worked with the Royal Navy to remove the bomb. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings.last_img read more