Teenagers who murdered vulnerable woman apply to extend anonymity

The issue will go before the High Court next month, where their legal teams will argue the media’s ban on reporting their identities should be extended.The current interim injunction applies to media reports, and all other internet postings.During the original trial it emerged that the older of the two girls had attempted suicide on four occasions once in the court lavatory where she had tried to strangle herself with her own hair. Angela Wrightson died following a sustained attack in her home Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. Angela Wrightson died following a sustained attack in her home The judge praised a female member of the court staff saying her quick actions had literally saved the girl’s life.The judge revealed that the younger girl had also been self-harming during the trial.During the murder, which is believed to have taken place over a five hour period, the girls posted images of themselves laughing on social media.They later called the police to ask for a lift home and posted an image of themselves laughing in the back of the police van.The court heard the Miss Wrightson would have suffered considerable mental and physical pain during what was described as an attack of “gratuitous degradation.”She was hit with a shovel, a TV, a coffee table and a stick studded with screws after she let the girls into her home. Two teenage girls who beat a frail and vulnerable woman to death during an attack of “gratuitous degradation” are taking legal action to prevent their identities being made public.The teenagers were aged 13 and 14 when they were jailed for life with a minimum of 15-years in 2016 for the murder of 39-year-old Angela Wrightson, in her Hartlepool home.Sentencing them Mr Justice Globe condemned their actions as “cowardly” as he revealed that Miss Wrightson had suffered 70 separate slash injuries and more than 50 blows to the head as she had desperately tried to defend herself.But the judge banned the media from naming the pair on the grounds that being identified could lead to their suicide.Now legal teams for the killers have obtained an interim injunction extending their anonymity, although one of them has turned 18. read more