Developments at Croom and St Itas

first_imgA NEW surgical centre and outpatient facility at Croom orthopaedic hospital along with an increase in the number of long-stay patient beds at St. Ita’s Hospital in Newcastlewest are among developments planned by the HSE in Limerick.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Confirmation that work is to proceed at both hospitals was welcomed this week by Limerick Fine Gael TD Patrick O’Donovan who said that this was as a result of discussions with the Department of Health and the HSE over many months.“Earlier this year, I organised a very productive meeting between Health Minister Leo Varadkar and representatives of the medical team in Croom. Before that, I facilitated a visit by the former Minister James Reilly to St. Ita’s where he met with the Hospital staff and representatives of the Friends of St. Ita’s.“Over the last number of months, I have met with the HSE in the Mid West on a number of occasions in relation to both hospitals to impress upon them the need for investment in the facilities and I am glad now to see that plans are being developed for both locations.”Deputy O’Donovan was told that the plans are at a very early stage “but I believe that the most important thing is that by working with the representatives and volunteers attached to both St. Ita’s and Croom, we have been able to get the HSE to see the value of prioritising the two hospitals for investment.“This initial phase of the process is probably the most important. Without a plan, money cannot be allocated from the HSE budget, so the fact that they have agreed to start this work and already have detailed proposals being put together is very positive.“The next steps will also be challenging where we have to fight for our share of the national HSE capital budget, but I am confident based on the commitment of the HSE locally that working together we can convince the HSE nationally to make these investments”, he added. Previous articleAmbulance crew shortages force stand-downsNext articleGardai arrest suspect in Newcastle West assault Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. WhatsApp Facebook Print Advertisementcenter_img NewsCommunityDevelopments at Croom and St ItasBy Bernie English – August 25, 2015 1149 Linkedin Twitter Emaillast_img read more

Martin Demichelis: “Manchester City are Premier League favourites”

first_imgManchester City are favourites to reclaim the Premier League title this season, according to centre-back Martin Demichelis.City celebrated Manuel Pellegrini’s first season as manager with a double of the Premier League and League Cup in the 2013-14 campaign.They failed to match the same standard last term and finished eight points adrift of Chelsea but, speaking ahead of their league opener at West Brom on Monday, Demichelis is confident of returning to the top of the pile.”There are tough teams every year involved in the fight and what we want to do is beat them so we know that teams such as Chelsea, United and Arsenal are going to be there,” the Argentinian told Sky Sports.”We will fight against them and our intention is to win, yes, we are favourites.”Demichelis, who penned a one-year contract extension in March, says the whole team is desperate to be more consistent this term. “We left in a way we didn’t like, we could have made it, we weren’t as regular as we were in the previous season,” the 34-year-old added.”We have the quality and we are a good squad and we want to bring all this energy back onto the pitch this season.”–Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySportslast_img read more

Gyan sex scandal: Sarah Kwablah sues Daily Guide, others 6 billion cedis

first_imgDaily Guide and two of its editors have been sued over a story the paper carried in June this year concerning what has become known as the ‘Asamoah Gyan Sex Tape Saga’.Samson Lardy Anyenini, a lawyer and host of News File on Joy FM, who filed the writ, is demanding an amount of GH¢600,000.00 (six billion old cedis) as damages for the publication of a photograph of his client, Sarah Kwablah, in Daily Guide.Mr Ayenini’s writ referred to a News One report in June which said a university student, Sarah Kwablah, had threatened to make public what she described as a secretly recorded video of the sexual intercourse she had with Black Stars Captain Asamoah Gyan.According to Samson Lardy Anyenini, the photograph that appeared in Daily Guide was that of his client, Sarah Kwablah, a resident of Nima and an employee of a Chinese Restaurant on the Osu Oxford Street.The lawyer said the publication caused his client, Sarah Kwablah, unbearable trauma and psychological distress to the extent that she had to travel abroad for “emotional and psychological healing.”He added that after the publication, Sarah Kwablah’s “relations [and] friends have suffered much distress and the father especially is experiencing deterioration in health.” Apart from the amount of GH¢600,000.00 (six billion old cedis) Mr Anyenini is demanding as damages, he requested that DAILY GUIDE pay “the cost of all medical and psychological treatment and counselling and attendant expenses as a result of the said libel in the said publications.”He also demanded that Daily Guide pay Sarah Kwablah all her salary and allowances for all the period she has been unable to resume work as a result of the said publication and also pay all her legal fees.The lawyer is also requesting a retraction, an unqualified apology and a perpetual injunction on the publication of Sarah Kwablah’s photographs.The writ, dated July 30, 2015, named Fortune Alimi, Editor of Daily Guide; Halifax Ansah-Addo, Editor in Charge of NEWS-ONE; and Western Publications, publishers of Daily Guide, as the first, second and third defendants respectively.Meanwhile, Daily Guide has forwarded the writ to its lawyers. Editor’s note: The name of the lady purported to have had sexual relations with the Ghana captain is also Sarah Kwablah.–CLICK TO READ: Sarah Kwablah threatens to sue media houses for defamation–Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySportslast_img read more