All about dignity

first_imgEmail Print AS YOUNG women, the Magdalens were stripped of their freedom, their dignity and even their names. They lost parents, children, siblings. Many of them were barely past childhood and some were still children but they were forced to endure a punishing regime of hard physical labour, verbal and physical punishments that could only be described as abuse and many had no idea when, or if, this living hell would open and release them.The vast majority were paid nothing for their work. And the McAleese report has revealed that the state had a hand in condemning about one-quarter of these women to this fate.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up While they were incarcerated in the laundries, they learned plenty about how to remove filth from dirty linen and how to iron and mend. But they got no other education or training and girls as young as twelve left their schoolbooks behind them forever when the doors of the laundry closed behind them.Some spent all their lives in these grim places but those who got out no doubt found there was no reward waiting for women who had no skills that would earn them anything other than minimum pay, if that.Having endured all that, the majority of the survivors are now elderly and are again reliant on the state to pay them a pension, often non-contributory and barely enough to exist. Certainly, not an amount that will give them choices about how to spend their golden years.In contrast, the civil servants who had a hand in condemning them to the laundries and a subsequent lifetime of nightmare memories retired on gilt-edged pensions that are more than enough to pay for golf club memberships and sun-drenched holidays.Certainly, the Magdalene women need an apology. But before even more of them end their days without some comforts, they need to be promptly and properly compensated.Above: A tombstone memorial to Magdalene laundry workers from the Good Shepherd Convent in Limerick. NewsLocal NewsAll about dignityBy admin – February 7, 2013 402 Twitter Linkedincenter_img WhatsApp Facebook Advertisement Previous articleFather on trial for sexual assault of family membersNext article“Opportunistic” Limerick woman alleges payoff for silence adminlast_img read more

Developments at Croom and St Itas

first_imgA NEW surgical centre and outpatient facility at Croom orthopaedic hospital along with an increase in the number of long-stay patient beds at St. Ita’s Hospital in Newcastlewest are among developments planned by the HSE in Limerick.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Confirmation that work is to proceed at both hospitals was welcomed this week by Limerick Fine Gael TD Patrick O’Donovan who said that this was as a result of discussions with the Department of Health and the HSE over many months.“Earlier this year, I organised a very productive meeting between Health Minister Leo Varadkar and representatives of the medical team in Croom. Before that, I facilitated a visit by the former Minister James Reilly to St. Ita’s where he met with the Hospital staff and representatives of the Friends of St. Ita’s.“Over the last number of months, I have met with the HSE in the Mid West on a number of occasions in relation to both hospitals to impress upon them the need for investment in the facilities and I am glad now to see that plans are being developed for both locations.”Deputy O’Donovan was told that the plans are at a very early stage “but I believe that the most important thing is that by working with the representatives and volunteers attached to both St. Ita’s and Croom, we have been able to get the HSE to see the value of prioritising the two hospitals for investment.“This initial phase of the process is probably the most important. Without a plan, money cannot be allocated from the HSE budget, so the fact that they have agreed to start this work and already have detailed proposals being put together is very positive.“The next steps will also be challenging where we have to fight for our share of the national HSE capital budget, but I am confident based on the commitment of the HSE locally that working together we can convince the HSE nationally to make these investments”, he added. Previous articleAmbulance crew shortages force stand-downsNext articleGardai arrest suspect in Newcastle West assault Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. WhatsApp Facebook Print Advertisementcenter_img NewsCommunityDevelopments at Croom and St ItasBy Bernie English – August 25, 2015 1149 Linkedin Twitter Emaillast_img read more

Alpine Valley Will Not Host Any Live Concert Events This Year

first_imgOne of the Midwest’s finest facilities Alpine Valley Music Theatre in Elkhorn, Wisconsin will not be hosting any concerts this season. Live Nation announced that the outdoor venue will not open in 2017 due to a lack of tour routes that traditionally pass through the area. With Phish off the road, and Dave Matthews taking a year off with his Band, the Valley will remain quiet this summer.“It’s an unusual year in that a lot of artists we’ve traditionally hosted are playing in other buildings or not playing at all this season,” explains Jon Reens, the Vice President of Marketing for Midwest music at Live Nation.“Either they’re not coming through Wisconsin or are playing at places like Wriggly Field instead of Alpine Valley,” he says. “Dave Matthews, the band, isn’t touring this year. Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds are touring together, but they’re playing at Huntington Bank Pavilion at Northerly Island in Chicago.”While Live Nation still worked to book the season with other noteworthy acts, they weren’t able to come up with the proper billings needed to open the venue for the 2017 season. “Whether it was touring schedules, or production design where they can’t fit on our stage, or other things, they were not able to confirm for 2017,” explains Reens.Instead, the time will be used to focus on revamping the venue with general maintenance and repairs for a great season next year. “We have absolutely zero intention of abandoning the facility,” he assures. “We are refocusing on 2018 to build a more robust schedule. We had to make a difficult decision to not open for this year, but we’re focusing on 2018.”Not totally random, but remember when the Famous Mockingbird “totally knew shitting on Trey would inspire him”? Read the full interview here.[via My Walworth County]last_img read more