Military censors shut down fortnightly

first_img May 26, 2021 Find out more May 31, 2021 Find out more MyanmarAsia – Pacific The censorship bureau has closed down a news and analysis magazine for being too “pro-American.” Reporters Without Borders and the Burma Media Association condemn this latest measure against the non-governmental press. Follow the news on Myanmar MyanmarAsia – Pacific Reporters Without Borders (Reporters sans frontières) and the Burma Media Association today called on the military junta’s bureau of censorship to reverse its 1 September decision to ban the privately-owned fortnightly Khit-Sann, which covered current affairs and which was recently told that the junta considered it to be too “pro-American.””At the rate publications are being closed and pressure is being put on journalists, the Burmese press will soon be limited to official propaganda outlets and a few privately-owned entertainmentmagazines,” the two organisations protested.Khit-Sann had been published in Rangoon since August 2003. When told on 1 September that it was banned until further notice, it was given no explanation by Maj. Aye Htun, the head of the censorship bureau that is an offshoot of the Military Intelligence Service (MIS).But editor Kyaw Win was told by censors in August that the magazine was viewed as too pro-American. In June, he had complained to the authorities about the use of his byline in propaganda articles published by an official newspaper. When the government did not respond, he tried to publish an article about it in Khit-Sann, but the censorship bureau banned it.Khit-Sann was one of the very few publications to try to cover current affairs, as well as social, economic and philosophical issues. With a print run of 3,000, it was popular with young people and intellectuals.Another privately-owned publication, Khit-Thit, recently received warnings from the censorship bureau. The cover of an issue looking at the celebrations for the 60th anniversary of the allied landing in Normandy was banned because its photo of US combat troops was deemed to be “too aggressive.”The junta has meanwhile been harassing two well-known writers closed to the opposition National League for Democracy (NLD), Ludu Sein Win and Dagon Tayar, since they gave interviews to the Burmese language services of Radio Free Asia and Voice of America. The government press has openly criticised them and Ludu Sein Win’s telephone has been cut for two weeks. to go further News News September 15, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Military censors shut down fortnightly Help by sharing this information News Receive email alerts RSF asks Germany to let Myanmar journalist Mratt Kyaw Thu apply for asylum Thai premier, UN rapporteurs asked to prevent journalists being returned to Myanmar Organisation News RSF_en US journalist held in Yangon prison notorious for torture May 12, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

A bright future on the cards for nine-year-old Afton from Limerick

first_img Previous articleWorld famous German band to compete in Limerick championshipNext articleTraveller halting site dispute escalates as accusations fly at Limerick council Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Email NewsA bright future on the cards for nine-year-old Afton from LimerickBy Staff Reporter – March 15, 2017 1014 Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Advertisement Twitter WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Afton Purtill hard at work on her homemade cardsONE of Limerick’s youngest entrepreneurs has shown that creative flair can spark some unusual business opportunities.Nine-year-old Afton Purtill has elevated her love of arts and crafts to launch her very own company, the appropriately named Afton’s Handmade Cards.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up A third class pupil at Scoil Dean Cussen in Bruff, Afton has produced greeting cards for every occasion and they are now moving into the public arena as she landed her first order from a local store.“I have always been into making things through arts and crafts and with the help of my mom (Ellen Twomey Purtill), we started making some cards to send to family and friends.“I was thrilled to make them and for them to be sent out for other people to enjoy” the Bruff schoolgirl said.“I commissioned her so to speak,” Ellen told the Limerick Post, “as I thought it would be just nicer and add that personal touch to give a handmade card.“Afton has a real flair for it now and she has taken it on with a real passion.Ellen said that she showed some of the cards to her friends and colleagues, “the next thing I know, people were asking me to get her to make the cards for them too.“That very first day, she got more than 50 orders for cards”.Such is the success and popularity of Afton’s Handmade cards, that she is now supplying shops in Limerick city.It’s plain to see that there is a bright future on the cards for this enterprising nine year old. See her Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Aftonshandmadecards/ Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live center_img Facebook Linkedin Print WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” TAGSAftonAfton’s handmade cardslimerick Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clashlast_img read more

The Truth About Cuba’s Medical Missions

first_imgBy ShareAmerica May 05, 2020 With the global pandemic, Cuba is once again promoting its medical missions to other governments facing a shortage of medical professionals. But those governments, while desperate for help, should know what they are getting into.Abusive conditions are the reality for many of the 34,000–50,000 Cuban medical workers in more than 60 countries. According to the Cuban government, it makes an estimated $7 billion annually by exporting professional services, including these medical missions. This is not assistance — it is a for-profit activity of the Cuban regime. It’s the regime’s top revenue source.“I have come to know the Cuban medical mission […] as a mechanism through which the Cuban regime violates the internationally defined human and labor rights standards of its own people, while simultaneously sowing political and social discord throughout the world,” U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Cuba and Venezuela Carrie Filipetti said at a December 2019 Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation event hosted by the Organization of American States.According to witness testimony of Cuban doctors who have escaped, many Cuban doctors — often under pressure — double as foreign agents who incite violence and involve themselves in political coercion, Filipetti said. In recent years, Cuban doctors have:Threatened to withhold treatment from Venezuelan patients if they didn’t vote for Maduro.Been connected to inciting violent protests in Bolivia.Falsified data for the political and economic benefit of Maduro’s regime.That, Filipetti said, is why Brazil, Bolivia and Ecuador — among other nations — have stopped using Cuban doctors.Testimony from some of the doctors who escaped cite various forms of abuse: threats against doctors leaving the program, non-payment of wages, restricted movements, and confiscated passports.According to U.S. State Department data confirmed by the doctors themselves, the Cuban government typically pockets 75-90 percent of these doctors’ salaries. A pending 2018 class-action lawsuit by a group of Cuban health workers alleges they worked under threat of harsh economic, personal, and legal repercussions.U.S. State Department officials in the Bureau of Western Hemisphere Affairs believe that if a country plans to host Cuban doctors, its government should first ask a few simple questions: Are doctors paid directly? Is their pay confiscated? Are doctors guaranteed to retain their passports? Are they free to travel? Are their families allowed to visit? The agreements should be transparent and open to the public to ensure the doctors’ rights are protected.Host country governments should insist that money paid for the Cuban medical workers actually is paid to the workers directly, rather than filling the coffers of the regime. Host governments could also help dispel some of the concerns circling the controversial Cuban program by making the terms of all arrangements for medical assistance public.Host countries should also demand that Cuban doctors meet local medical qualifications. Do the Cuban doctors have the same credentials as those who went to a local medical school?Finally, the Cuban government pays its doctors a fraction of the salary of host country doctors often resulting in unemployment among local doctors and nurses, according to the U.S. State Department, which asks why local medical practitioners don’t have opportunities to earn an honest living and help their fellow citizens.Medical workers are a precious resource — now more than ever — and should be treated fairly.last_img read more