NewsWorker told that Labour Court award can not be enforcedBy Staff Reporter – October 17, 2014 1325 by Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up A LIMERICK worker who was awarded €5,000 in an unfair dismissal case, has been told that a Circuit Court judge cannot order her employer to pay her the money.The woman, who had less than 12 months employment at the Limerick-based company, was granted a hearing before a Rights Commissioner as she was unable to bring a case to the Employment Appeals Tribunal because of the short term of service she had with the company.The Rights Commisioner ruled that she had a causable action because she was treated unfairly by her employer.At Limerick Circuit Court last week, Judge Carroll Moran heard from Maria Lane, BL for the aggrieved woman that she had taken her case to the Rights Commissioner last year after her employment was terminated by her then employer.After consenting to engage with the process, the employer was found to be in breach and the woman was awarded €2,000 in compensation. She appealed the award and judgement to the Labour Court and it subsequently increased the amount of compensation to €5,000.Following the appeal, the employer failed to engage with the process further and “simply ignored all correspondence” sent from the woman’s legal team in an effort to claim the money.She was now asking the court to enforce the order under section 13 of the Industrial Relations Act as the employer had fully engaged in the process but then withdrew from it.Solicitor for the employer, Pat McHugh said the woman had no rights to bring the motion before the Circuit Court judge as the award from the Labour Court was only a recommendation and therefore not bound by legislation. He added that there was no provision in law for the woman to request a Circuit Court judge to enforce the decision.After Ms Lane said it was the only way to ensure the Labour Court recommendation was enforced, Judge Moran said that despite the history of the case, he had to refuse the application for want of jurisdiction”.An application by Mr McHugh to have the court costs paid by the woman was refused by Judge Moran who made no order on costs. WhatsApp Twitter Previous articleInvestigations continue into fatal road crashNext articleLimerick father of five shot at over drug debt owed to ‘Fat John’ Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Facebook Linkedin Email Print Advertisement
Two teenagers suspected of bludgeoning an Oxford University student appeared in court today.Kentaro Ikeda, a postgraduate at St Edmund’s Hall, was still in a critical condition this morning, after being bludgeoned over the head during the brutal robbery.The 26-year-old was later discovered by passers-by, lying unconscious in a pool of his own blood on a deserted cycle path.Craig Knowles, of Oxford Road, and Thomas Mack, of Nicholas Road, – both 18-year-olds from Marston – are alleged to have carried out the vicious assault, which left the Japanese student with a fractured skull and a risk of brain damage.Both men appeared at Oxford Magistrates’ Court on Monday morning to answer charges of robbery and grievous bodily harm with intent to endanger life.The pair were remanded in custody following the short hearing and are next due to appear at Oxford Crown Court on August 11th.Meanwhile, Kentaro’s mother was at her son’s bedside in John Radcliffe Hospital, having flown from their home on the Japanese island of Fukushima to be with him.He was found in the early hours of Thursday morning on a cycle track between Ferry Road and the University Parks.Police cordoned off the area for days whilst forensic investigators combed the scene and surrounding area for clues.A rucksack linked by detectives to the brutal assault was later discovered in nearby Rippington Drive, Marston.A spokesman for Thames Valley Police said that officers believe it was taken from Kentaro during the attack, in which his grey and black bicycle and cycle bag were also stolen.He also revealed that officers had discovered the weapon believed to have been used to batter Kentaro over the head.The spokesman refused however to reveal the nature of the weapon itself.The victim has lived in Oxford since November last year, when he began studying for his Masters degree at St Edmund College.
Inside 24 Brussells Avenue at Morningside, which goes to auction at 9am today, Saturday October 27.PREPARATION is key to a successful auction but things don’t always go to plan.And while wild weather may be one of them, stormy skies don’t usually deter genuine buyers.“I remember a house that was sold at auction for 4$ million last year,” Place Bulimba agent Shane Hicks said.“There was 25 registered bidders and a crowd of 250 and we were going to hold the auction on the tennis court.“But then a storm rolled in so we held it on the deck in the torrential rain. If people want to buy a house they will come rain, hail or shine.” Lightning pictured over Brisbane City, Brisbane 25th of October 2018. (AAP Image/Josh Woning) Likening an auction to a garden wedding, Mr Hicks said it was always important to have a plan B.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus16 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market16 hours ago“And a plan C, a plan D,” he said. “Things can go wrong but you just have to keep everyone calm. “Selling real estate is rarely black and white.”But some of the biggest clangers come auction day are rarely related to the weather, Mr Hicks said.He said issues with financing was the most common problem encountered. Place Bulimba agent Shane Hicks will take this house at 24 Brussells Avenue at Morningside to auction today, Saturday October27, at 9am.As for sellers, Mr Hicks said there were a few things they could do to ensure their best shot at auction. These included providing a building and pest inspection to all prospective buyers, get a rental appraisal done, provide a report on all of the easements, stormwater and sewer pipes on the property, list comparable sales in the area to give the purchaser a broad guide as to the price range and ensure the agent is opening for inspection during the week and on a Saturday.“All of this will put the seller and agent in more control but more importantly make the buyers job of making the decision much easier and give them a great deal of confidence in that decision,” he said. Place Bulimba agent Shane Hicks.“From the start we encourage all interested buyers to start that pre-approval conversation with their advisers early,” he said. “The other issue that can come up is a party being out of town, but that’s usually an easy fix as they can register an agent or friend to bid on their behalf.“And sometimes a buyer has sold their own property and then there is an issue with that contract.“That’s when we encourage them to still attend the auction and if it doesn’t sell we can enter in to a private treaty.”
This Sunday the Premier County will travel to Brewster Park to take on Fermanagh with a home game against Clare to come the following weekend. There are 2 changes to Peter Creedon’s team for their Round 3 match.Robbie Kiely of Carbery Rangers returns from his one match suspension and takes over at left half back for the injured Donagh Leahy, while Borrisokane’s Philip Austin comes in at wing forward for the injured Brian Fox. And Tipp’s Michael O’Loughlin says it’s vital his side can secure four points against Fermanagh and Clare. O’Loughlin says retaining possesion will be key to Tipp’s approach.Coach Michael McGeehan will take Peter Creedon’s place on the sidelines for this weekends game. Creedon became the first manager to be hit with a touchline ban after his criticism of Meath referee David Coldrick in Tipp’s first round defeat to Armagh. The game at Brewster Park, Enniskillen throws-in at 2 o’clock on Sunday and we’ll have live coverage here on Tipp FM in association with Ormond Tiles, Summerhill, Nenagh and Larkins Gala Store, Ballina.