NewsWorker told that Labour Court award can not be enforcedBy Staff Reporter – October 17, 2014 1325 by Andrew [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up A LIMERICK worker who was awarded €5,000 in an unfair dismissal case, has been told that a Circuit Court judge cannot order her employer to pay her the money.The woman, who had less than 12 months employment at the Limerick-based company, was granted a hearing before a Rights Commissioner as she was unable to bring a case to the Employment Appeals Tribunal because of the short term of service she had with the company.The Rights Commisioner ruled that she had a causable action because she was treated unfairly by her employer.At Limerick Circuit Court last week, Judge Carroll Moran heard from Maria Lane, BL for the aggrieved woman that she had taken her case to the Rights Commissioner last year after her employment was terminated by her then employer.After consenting to engage with the process, the employer was found to be in breach and the woman was awarded €2,000 in compensation. She appealed the award and judgement to the Labour Court and it subsequently increased the amount of compensation to €5,000.Following the appeal, the employer failed to engage with the process further and “simply ignored all correspondence” sent from the woman’s legal team in an effort to claim the money.She was now asking the court to enforce the order under section 13 of the Industrial Relations Act as the employer had fully engaged in the process but then withdrew from it.Solicitor for the employer, Pat McHugh said the woman had no rights to bring the motion before the Circuit Court judge as the award from the Labour Court was only a recommendation and therefore not bound by legislation. He added that there was no provision in law for the woman to request a Circuit Court judge to enforce the decision.After Ms Lane said it was the only way to ensure the Labour Court recommendation was enforced, Judge Moran said that despite the history of the case, he had to refuse the application for want of jurisdiction”.An application by Mr McHugh to have the court costs paid by the woman was refused by Judge Moran who made no order on costs. WhatsApp Twitter Previous articleInvestigations continue into fatal road crashNext articleLimerick father of five shot at over drug debt owed to ‘Fat John’ Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Facebook Linkedin Email Print Advertisement
Homepage BannerNews Twitter By News Highland – September 29, 2019 RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Pinterest DL Debate – 24/05/21 Google+ Journey home will be easier – Paul Hegarty Facebook Google+ Facebook WhatsApp News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Pinterest Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows WhatsApp Harps come back to win in Waterford Twitter Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Previous articleNaomh Conaill through to Donegal Senior Football Championship Semi-Finals after victory over GlenfinNext articleRemnants of record-breaking hurricane could hit Ireland this week News Highland Fine Gael has lost a fifth of its party membership since 2013.Figures obtained by the Sunday Independent show that at the end of last month, Fine Gael membership amounted to 19,385 compared to 30,845 in 2013.Some of the most notable declines in membership numbers are in Meath and Galway. Fine Gael has lost a fifth of its party membership since 2013
Piracy massacre…as Guyana’s Security Minister leads team to SurinamePublic Security Minister Khemraj Ramjattan, accompanied by Deputy Crime Chief, Michael Kingston; and Deputy Commander B Division (Berbice), Wayne De Harte, on Saturday evening departed Guyana for Suriname to meet with their security counterparts following the recent spate of pirate attacks on Guyanese fishermen.While there, they are expected to be briefed on the matter by law enforcements officers and to meet with the Security Minister of that country to work on plans to keep the waters safe from piracy.Survivor: Cherwin LovellIn addition, seven relatives of missing fishermen were provided with the necessary documentation to travel to Suriname to join in the search for their loved ones.Speaking with Guyana Times, Crime Chief Paul Williams explained that the team is expected to return on Tuesday while confirming that the Guyana Police Force (GPF) has been in contact with their counterparts since the incidents took place.He added with the planned visit, additional information will be provided on the attacks and those who are presently in custody in Suriname.To date, he noted that seven Guyanese, who now reside in Suriname, were arrested along with the three who were arrested on the Corentyne. The Crime Chief explained that news coming out of Suriname suggested that the attacks are gang related but this is yet to be confirmed.Nevertheless, he reiterated that the GPF will give the necessary support the Surinamese law enforcement to bring the perpetrators to justice.On that note, Williams stated that those arrested in Suriname will be charged in that jurisdiction but once the Surinamese authorities request that the addition three from Guyana be prosecuted there, arrangements will be put in place for them to be handed over.Two Saturdays ago, four boats were attacked, and the fishermen were beaten and thrown overboard. Four of them reportedly survived the attack while the bodies of three were so far recovered.Those identified as missing are: Ramesh Sanchara, Ganesh Persaud, Vickey Persaud, Glenroy Jones, Bharat Heralall, Ralph Anthony, and Tiaknauth Mohabir. The bodies that were recovered are yet to be positively identified.However, a few days after that attack, another boat was attacked and the captain, Hardeo Beechan was killed while his crew went missing. The relatives of the missing men have called on the Government of Guyana to assist them in their search.So far, the Surinamese officials have been facilitating the searches in territorial waters with the aim of finding the missing men. In light of these incidents, fishermen – both in Guyana and Suriname – have suspended operations claiming that the waters have become quite “dangerous”.On Thursday last, Surinamese Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries Minister, Lekhram Soerdjan, convened a meeting with Visserscollectief – the organ that represents the fishermen and various proposals were made by the Board.After that meeting, it was reported that a Government coordination team led by Justice and Police Minister, Stuart Getrouw, as well as Ministers Soerdjan and Ronni Benschop of the Defence Ministry, had another meeting to discuss the tragedy.Minister Getrouw stated that the Government of Suriname is already in contact with neighbouring countries to bring clarity to the heinous tragedy. However, the Surinamese Government emphasised that the issue is dealt with by the relevant authorities with the necessary diligence, tact and seriousness.More in custodyMeanwhile, sources in Suriname told Guyana Times that at least 26 persons have been arrested but the Police remain tight-lipped about the situation. It was reported that one man was arrested on Thursday morning and another six were nabbed later that evening.Additional suspects, according to the source, were arrested between Friday and Saturday. Further, a rally was held on Saturday, which saw fishermen and their relatives in their numbers calling on the Surinamese Government to work in ensuring that the sea is once again safe to ply their trade. Many Guyanese fishermen participated in the event.
Mumbai, May 22 (PTI) Congratulatory messages poured in for Anurag Thakur after he took over as the BCCI President here today with senior players and his Board colleagues expressing confidence that Indian cricket would continue to flourish in his tenure. “Congratulations @ianuragthakur for becoming the @BCCI president.. Best wishes,” wrote Harbhajan Singh on his twitter page. All-rounder Yuvraj Singh wrote: “Congratulations to @ianuragthakur for becoming the youngest BCCI president!” India discard Gautam Gambhir also congratulated Thakur. “Congrats @ianuragthakur on taking over @bcci president. Go well paaji. Hope Indian cricket continues to prosper.” Former captain and Cricket Association of Bengal chief Sourav Ganguly, who accompanied Thakur for his nomination filing yesterday, was confident that the sport would only gain under his tenure. “I am sure he will carry the legacy of the people who have been at that post. He has been around for a while. He knows the job and he will take it forward. Indian cricket I am sure will be looked after well,” Ganguly said. “Every job comes with challenges. I dont think it is a crown of thorns, whether you open against the best fast bowling attack in the world or you are the BCCI President or the Association President,” he added. Not only cricketers but administrators also congratulated the three-time BJP MP. “Many congratulations to him on behalf of the Board. Its a very big responsibility on his shoulders. Our endeavour is to work as one united family and take cricket forward in India and globally. “I also thank Shashank Manohar for his tenure as BCCI president and the way he strengthened it. We hope he will continue to be out guiding light. We have full faith in the newly-elected president and secretary and we are sure under their guidance the Board, which is going through tough times, will overcome them with transparency,” MPCA President Jyotiraditya Scindia said. However Scindia did not express his opinion on whether these times can be termed as difficult for the Board. “I dont necessarily think that its an easy time or tough time. I think its important that we are transparent, accountable. And I think if we are transparent and accountable I personally dont think any situation is a situation which cannot be overcome. “Under Anurag Thakur as well as Ajay Shirke I think the Board will rise to the expectations of not only the Lodha Committee or the courts but will also rise to the expectations of 1.3 billion in this country and billions of people across the world.” CAB secretary Avishek Dalmiya also congratulated Thakur. “Many congratulations to Anurag Thakur on becoming the consensus candidate for the post of BCCI President. While he brings youth at the top, he also has the required experience since he has been associated with the BCCI for over 16 years”, said Dalmiya. PTI KHS PM ATadvertisement