March 24 — It has been three weeks since the assassination of beloved Indigenous leader and environmentalist activist Berta Cáceres of Honduras.Berta was killed by unknown assailants on March 3, after many death threats for her tireless work in defense of the Lenca nation as well as for the organization she co-founded, COPINH (Consejo Cívico de Organizaciones Populares e Indígenas de Honduras), which defended the Lenca people’s treasured ancestral land and rivers.Berta CáceresThe Honduran and U.S. governments’ response is not to seek her murderers, but to harass, arrest and threaten COPINH instead. Immediately after her death, the Honduran state detained her comrades in COPINH and confiscated their cell phones and other belongings. The Honduran government, a U.S. puppet, even made the absurd accusation that it was, in fact, COPINH members who had killed Berta.According to Beverly Bell, in the March 22 Foreign Policy In Focus, “Prominent COPINH organizer Aureliano Molina was imprisoned for two days on suspicion of ‘a crime of passion,’ though he was two hours away. … Two other COPINH leaders were interrogated for days … The government denied their request for accompaniment by their lawyers.”A fellow comrade of Berta’s from Mexico who was wounded when Cáceres was killed, Gustavo Castro, also an environmental activist, witnessed her murder. Castro is currently being detained in Honduras and is prohibited from leaving the country until further notice. The movement believes that the Honduran government may attempt to frame Gustavo Castro for Cáceres’ murder.The deaths and repression continue. On March 19, another COPINH member, Nelson García, was viciously shot in the face and killed as he helped defend a community from military occupation.Resistance growsDespite the repression, the movement throughout the country and indeed the world has responded: “Berta did not die, she multiplied.”In the capital, Tegucigalpa, youths spray graffiti with that slogan across the city in an act of defiance to the occupying, U.S.-supported, death-squad government. Demonstrations and vigils are held regularly. On International Women’s Day, March 8, marches with women carrying Berta’s picture flooded the streets. Reports that organizations of young people are working to take back their land are steady.The Honduras Solidarity Network issued this alert: “To the national and international community … through this we make the public aware that … youth from Guadalupe Carney, Trujillo Colón, Honduras, members of the Peasant Movement of Aguán … came to reclaim land belonging to the campesino community.”Olivia Zúñiga Cáceres, Berta’s oldest daughter, said on Democracy Now on March 18: “Today, we are here to demand justice and an explanation for the crime of the death of my mother, Berta Cáceres. We’ve launched … a battle at the international level, to exert pressure in order to demand that the … multinational corporations that come to plunder, to exterminate our people … spill our blood in our territories … that they stop being financed and leave our country.”Another daughter, Laura, traveled to Washington to meet with legislators about the assassination. There she told of Cáceres’ efforts to stop the Agua Zarca Dam construction along the Gualcarque River. This river is vital to the livelihood of the Indigenous Lenca people. More than 100 environmental defenders have been killed in Honduras in the last decade according to the Global Witness nongovernmental organization.Laura told Washington that Cáceres had received over 30 death threats.After Cáceres’ death, at least 60 congressional representatives sent a letter to Secretary of State John Kerry requesting an independent, international investigation into her murder.The letter criticized ongoing U.S. support for Honduran security forces. Earlier this year, the Obama administration announced it would provide up to $750 million to support security and economic development programs across Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador.However, it is, in fact, the U.S. government that is ultimately responsible for the death of Berta and the thousands of other human rights activists, political organizers, women, journalists, LGBTQ activists and others who have been terrorized for their resistance to an illegal, repressive, fraudulent government.Berta Cáceres was not just an environmentalist. Her words demonstrate that she was anti-imperialist. In a Guardian newspaper interview in 2015, she declared:“The political, economic and social situation in Honduras is getting worse, and there is an imposition of a project of domination, of violent oppression, of militarization, of violation of human rights, of transnationalization, of the turning over of the riches and sovereignty of the land to corporate capital, for it to privatize energy, the rivers, the land; for mining exploitation; for the creation of development zones.”The turnover of wealth is all for U.S. imperialism.To find out what you can do for the people of Honduras and get justice for Berta Cáceres, demand freedom for Gustavo Castro and support the struggle in Honduras, visit www.hondurassolidarity.org and otherworldsarepossible.orgFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thisFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare this
May 26, 2021 Find out more May 31, 2021 Find out more MyanmarAsia – Pacific The censorship bureau has closed down a news and analysis magazine for being too “pro-American.” Reporters Without Borders and the Burma Media Association condemn this latest measure against the non-governmental press. Follow the news on Myanmar MyanmarAsia – Pacific Reporters Without Borders (Reporters sans frontières) and the Burma Media Association today called on the military junta’s bureau of censorship to reverse its 1 September decision to ban the privately-owned fortnightly Khit-Sann, which covered current affairs and which was recently told that the junta considered it to be too “pro-American.””At the rate publications are being closed and pressure is being put on journalists, the Burmese press will soon be limited to official propaganda outlets and a few privately-owned entertainmentmagazines,” the two organisations protested.Khit-Sann had been published in Rangoon since August 2003. When told on 1 September that it was banned until further notice, it was given no explanation by Maj. Aye Htun, the head of the censorship bureau that is an offshoot of the Military Intelligence Service (MIS).But editor Kyaw Win was told by censors in August that the magazine was viewed as too pro-American. In June, he had complained to the authorities about the use of his byline in propaganda articles published by an official newspaper. When the government did not respond, he tried to publish an article about it in Khit-Sann, but the censorship bureau banned it.Khit-Sann was one of the very few publications to try to cover current affairs, as well as social, economic and philosophical issues. With a print run of 3,000, it was popular with young people and intellectuals.Another privately-owned publication, Khit-Thit, recently received warnings from the censorship bureau. The cover of an issue looking at the celebrations for the 60th anniversary of the allied landing in Normandy was banned because its photo of US combat troops was deemed to be “too aggressive.”The junta has meanwhile been harassing two well-known writers closed to the opposition National League for Democracy (NLD), Ludu Sein Win and Dagon Tayar, since they gave interviews to the Burmese language services of Radio Free Asia and Voice of America. The government press has openly criticised them and Ludu Sein Win’s telephone has been cut for two weeks. to go further News News September 15, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Military censors shut down fortnightly Help by sharing this information News Receive email alerts RSF asks Germany to let Myanmar journalist Mratt Kyaw Thu apply for asylum Thai premier, UN rapporteurs asked to prevent journalists being returned to Myanmar Organisation News RSF_en US journalist held in Yangon prison notorious for torture May 12, 2021 Find out more
Related posts:No related photos. PeopleOn 26 Mar 2002 in Personnel Today Being able to put a name to the face every employee in the company is not aclaim many HR professionals can boast, especially if it’s a hotel with morethan 700 staff. Alison Bates does have a bit of an advantage in remembering atleast one name though – her husband of 20 years is the head chef. “We make it a strict rule not to see each other in work. But the factthat we’re in the same business really helps, as we understand the pressuresand sometimes unsociable hours we both face,” she explains. Since she started work at the Welsh resort in 1997, the hotel has undergonea £100m expansion programme which has seen the workforce grow from 200 to 700.Bates has interviewed nearly all of them and it is the hands-on aspect sheenjoys most. “That’s the beauty of this role. You’re with them from the verybeginning and they’re not just anonymous colleagues walking around thehotel.” In her new role she will be more involved with staff welfare issues and HRplanning and hopes to help raise the standards of the resort through thequality of its HR function. With the 2010 Ryder Cup due to be held in Wales,the need for quality people is even greater and Bates is confident that HR willplay a key role in the hotel’s preparation. “The role of HR at Celtic Manor is very important and I’m involved inall aspects of the day-to-day operation, sitting on the strategic planning teamthat addresses future direction of the resort in terms of both the product andthe people,” she explains. CV2001 Personnel manager, Celtic Manor1998 Employment manager, Celtic Manor1997 Recruitment officer, Celtic Manor 1989 Personnel officer, Hilton Hotel, NewportOn the moveMark Carroll has been appointed asrace equality adviser at the Home Office. Carroll has a background indeveloping black and ethnic minority organisations as well as providingconsultancy advice at the most senior levels on diversity and race equality. Hetakes up the role next month following the retirement of Trevor Hall, CBE, andwill be responsible for advising on the promotion, implementation andmonitoring of race equality in Home Office policy and programmes.Jill McCormick is the new group head of training anddevelopment at Carlton Communications. She joins the company from Ernst &Young where she was senior HR manager. McCormick will be responsible forproviding the full range of strategic training and development for staff in thegroup. She will report directly to Tony Williams, the group’s first dedicatedHR director. Previously, she has held HR roles at Arcadia, Woolworth’s andAllied Domecq.Andrew Davie has joined ChivasBrothers as HR director. He takes up the top HR role at the newly formed PernodRicard whiskey business which comprises the brands and operations of CampbellDistillers and Chivas Brothers. Davie joined Pernod Ricard in 1991 and will bepart of a management team of nine reporting directly to chairman and chiefexecutive Georges Nectoux. Previous Article Next Article Comments are closed.
Chris Ramsey has been given the vacant manger’s job at Queens Park Rangers until the end of the season after impressing since taking over from Harry Redknapp in a caretaker role last week. An official announcement is expected in the next 24 hours.Ramsey led the club to their first away points of the Premier League season on Tuesday night with the 2-0 win at Sunderland, which was clearly a feather in his cap. However, the favourable impression that he has created runs deeper than one result, with the players having bought into his ideas on the training pitch and the team looking organised in matches.QPR had been expected to appoint Tim Sherwood, who has been out of work since his departure from Tottenham Hotspur at the end of last season, but the talks broke down. The chairman, Tony Fernandes, said on Tuesday that he was close to securing an alternative, somebody he described as his “dream manager”. He added that it might “take a while”.Paul Clement, the Real Madrid assistant manager, has been on Fernandes’s radar but he has said that his immediate focus is on finishing the season at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium. Clement has family ties to QPR, with his father, Dave, having played for the club.Michael Laudrup was also linked with the job but ruled himself out of the running, having briefly been installed as the bookmakers’ favourite.